7 g (2 tsp) dried yeast
80 ml (1/3 cup) light olive oil
650 ml warm water (37°C)
1 kg Baker’s flour (high protein flour), plus extra for dusting
75 g (¾ cup) full fat milk powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp fine salt
Black sesame seeds, poppy seeds
and nigella seeds, to decorate
- Combine the yeast, oil and water in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the flour, milk powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of a freestanding mixer with a dough hook attachment and mix on a low speed until combined.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl of the freestanding mixer and continue to mix for 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to medium and knead for 8 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a large lightly greased metal bowl. Place into the oven on Prove yeast dough and prove for 30 minutes.
- Wet your hands and fold the dough from the bottom to the top turning the bowl every time until you have folded it 6 times. Pull the smooth side of the dough so that it sits at the top.
- Return the dough to the oven and prove for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the oven and sprinkle the workbench with flour.
- Turn the dough onto the workbench and gently shape the dough into a 40 cm x 30 cm rectangle.
- Dust the top with flour, cover with a tea towel and rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough evenly into 10 rectangles.
- Lightly flour two baking trays and lift the dough gently onto them.
- Whisk the egg with an equal quantity of water and brush lightly over the dough, sprinkle with the seeds and rest for 10 minutes.
- Select Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 190°C, releasing a burst of steam immediately.
- Bake on shelf positions 2 and 4 for 20 minutes, or until bread is cooked and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on wire racks before serving.
Hints and tips
- To improve the lightness and texture of the bread you can repeat steps 5 and 6 twice more.
- The dough can be cut into any desired shape.
- If you don’t have the Prove yeast dough function, prove the dough with Conventional at 30°C covered.
- The dough recipe can be made in advance and frozen. Freeze the breads after the final proving stage, then bake as needed.
- Refresh this bread in a combi steam oven using Mix & Match + Crispy reheat + Select your preferred level of crispness, or in the oven on Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 200°C, bake for 10 minutes, releasing 1 automatic burst of steam immediately.
- Please note our recipes are developed using tablespoons that hold 20 ml (4 teaspoons).