1 kg tomato passata
220 g (1 cup) white sugar
185 ml (¾ cup) white wine vinegar
1 green apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
½ brown onion, roughly chopped
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt flakes
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan on medium heat, induction setting 6 and simmer for 1 hour.
- Using a hand-held stick blender blend the ingredients together until smooth.
- Sterilise the jars using the ‘disinfect items’ function on Miele steam ovens. Alternatively steam the bottles upside down for 10 minutes at 100⁰C.
- Using a funnel or jug carefully pour the sauce into sterilised jars or bottles.
- Place the lids onto the jars and place into the steam oven. Steam at 85⁰C for 30 minutes.
- Store the jars in a cool dark place for up to 3 months.
Preserving in a Miele steam oven
- Use clean glass jars and accessories and check them for any defects. Glass jars with twist off lids or glass lids with a rubber seal are suitable. Make sure that all the glass jars are the same size so that bottling is carried out evenly.
- After you have filled the jars with the bottled produce, clean the glass rims with a clean cloth and hot water and then seal the jars.
- Tap the jar gently onto a cloth to help distribute the contents evenly. Fill the jars with liquid. The produce must be completely covered.
- Make use of residual heat by leaving the jars in the oven for 30 minutes after it has switched off. – Then cover the jars with a cloth and allow to cool for approx. 24 hours.
- Sterilise the jars using the ‘disinfect items’ function on Miele steam ovens. Alternatively steam the bottles upside down for 10 minutes at 100⁰