1 kg fresh mussels, beards removed
50 g butter
40 g shallot, finely sliced
100 g bacon, cut into lardons
150 ml dry cider
2 tbsp crème fraiche
1 lemon, juice
Salt flakes and cracked black pepper, to taste
2 cups picked and washed fine herbs (chervil, parsley, chives and tarragon)
Sliced sourdough bread
- In a wok or large saucepan add butter and heat on medium-high heat, induction setting 7. Add bacon and shallots and fry for 4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Turn up the heat to induction setting 8. Add the cider and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the mussels and cover with a lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the mussels have just opened, shaking the pan every now and then.
- Lift the mussels out of the cooking liquid with a slotted spoon and place into a large warmed bowl. Boil the liquid remaining in the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the crème fraiche and allow to emulsify. Add the lemon juice and black pepper, taste and add more salt if required.
- Spoon the reduced liquid over the mussels, but leave the last few spoonfuls, as there may be some grit from the mussels.
- Scatter over the herbs and serve immediately with grilled bread.
- Preheat the Miele griddle plate on medium-high heat, induction setting 6.
- Very lightly brush the bread with olive oil and place on the griddle plate. When grilled enough, flip and grill the other side.
Hints and tips
- Bacon can be substituted with speck or pancetta for a more pronounced flavour.