185 g egg whites (approximately 5 eggs)
300 g (2 cups) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp cornflour
200 ml cream
1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
½ tsp vanilla extract
Seasonal fresh fruit
- Preheat oven on Conventional at 110°C with Rapid heat turned off. Select Crisp function if available.
- In a freestanding mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition until meringue is stiff and shiny and sugar has dissolved.
- Mix together the vinegar and vanilla, then add the cornflour to form a paste. Gently fold the cornflour paste into the meringue.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Draw a 22 cm circle and turn the paper over.
- Using a spoon, loosely spread the meringue onto the tray in the shape of the circle.
- Place the tray on shelf position 1 and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Place ingredients into a cold bowl and whisk until whipped.
- Place pavlova onto a serving dish. Top with whipped cream and seasonal fresh fruit.
Additional appliance method
Combi steam oven:
- Preheat oven on Combi Mode + Conventional 110°C + 0% moisture.
- Place the tray on shelf position 1 and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely
Hints and tips
- Pavlova is susceptible to humidity and therefore best cooked on the day you’re consuming it.