600ml thickened cream 35%
2 tablespoons cultured buttermilk
1. Pour cream and buttermilk into a jug and stir until fully combined.
2. Divide mixture into 4 sterilised 125ml capacity glass jars.
3. Cover with jar lids until finger tight.
4. Place jars onto a perforated steam tray. Steam at 40°C for 5 hours.
5. Allow the crème fraîche to set in the refrigerator before use.
- Live yoghurt can be substituted for cultured buttermilk to start the fermentation in the crème fraîche.
Good quality preserving jars can be easily obtained from local supermarkets.
To make vanilla crème fraîche, add 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste at step 1. Sweeten with icing sugar to taste before serving.