600ml thickened cream 35%
2 tablespoons cultured buttermilk
1. Pour cream and buttermilk into a jug and stir until fully combined.
2. Divide mixture into 4 sterilised 125ml capacity glass jars.
3. Cover with jar lids until finger tight.
4. Place jars onto a perforated steam tray. Steam at 40°C for 5 hours.
5. Allow the crème fraîche to set in the refrigerator before use.
- Live yoghurt can be substituted for cultured buttermilk to start the fermentation in the crème fraîche.
- Good quality preserving jars can be easily obtained from local supermarkets.
- To make vanilla crème fraîche, add 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste at step 1. Sweeten with icing sugar to taste before serving.