110 g unsalted butter
160 g caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
180 g self-raising flour
120 ml milk
100 g caster sugar
100 ml water
1 tsp lemon juice, extra
1 lemon, finely sliced
5 egg yolks
250 g sugar
250 ml lemon juice
220 g butter, melted and cooled
250 g unsalted butter
200 ml sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp lemon juice
Swiss meringue buttercream
170 g egg whites (approxiimately 6 eggs)
340 g sugar
680 g butter, cut into cubes, room temperature
Flavour or colouring of choice
- In a small saucepan on high heat, Induction setting 9, boil water, sugar and lemon juice until sugar has dissolved.
- Dip lemon slices into sugar syrup and place onto a paper lined perforated baking tray. Dehydrate in the warming drawer on Food Setting 5, approximately 85°C for 4 hours ,or until crispy.
- In a glass bowl, whisk together eggs, yolks and sugar until pale. Mix in lemon juice followed by butter and whisk until well combined.
- Cover with cling wrap and place into the Steam Oven on a wire rack. Steam at 75°C for 45 minutes.
- Remove curd from the steam oven and whisk vigorously until smooth and even in colour. Strain through a sieve into a clean bowl. Cover with a piece of cling wrap on the surface and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set.
- In a bowl of a freestanding mixer with paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Add in the lemon juice and zest.
- Reduce speed and gently fold in flour and milk alternately until well combined. Spoon mixture into paper lined muffin pans, filling the tins three quarters of the way.
- Steam at 100°C for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the cupcakes from the muffin pan while warm and cool on a wire rack.
- In a freestanding mixer with paddle attachment, whip butter and condensed milk until light and fluffy. Add in lemon juice.
Swiss meringue buttercream
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl of a freestanding mixer. Place into the steam oven on a wire rack and Steam at 65°C for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the bowl to the freestanding mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk until firm peaks form, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Change to the paddle attachment and gradually add half of the butter, mixing on low speed until the meringue has emulsified with the butter completely.
- Add the remaining butter and slowly increase the speed until medium-high speed is reached.
- Continue to beat until the mixture begins to look light and fluffy. Stop and scrape bowl and reduce to low speed. Add flavouring if desired and continue to beat on low speed for 45 seconds, followed by medium-high for an additional 45 seconds to combine.
- Using a small knife cut the top off the cupcakes. Pipe a small amount of curd into the centre of each cake and place the top back on.
- Pipe or spoon either the lemon buttercream or swiss buttercream over the top of each cake. Garnish with candied lemon wheel.
Hints and tips
- Cupcakes can be served with lemon curd and dusted with icing sugar.
- Traditional buttercream or Swiss meringue buttercream can be used for this cupcake recipe. Both methods have been included for reference.
- Leftover buttercream can be frozen for up to 3 months.