1 red chilli, small
5 garlic cloves, peeled
40 g ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
40 g coriander, fresh, chopped (reserve some to serve)
1 red onion, small, halved
50 g cashew nuts
1 tbsp coriander, ground
1 tsp turmeric, ground
1½ tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
800 ml stock, vegetable or chicken
400 ml coconut cream
100 g glass noodles (mung bean noodles), soaked in cold water for 15 minutes, drained
250 g tofu, firm, diced large
4 cups baby spinach
½ cup cashews, toasted, chopped
2 tbsp crispy shallots
½ tsp Aleppo chilli powder
Salt flakes, to taste
4 spring onions, sliced
1 lime, cut into wedges
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until a smooth paste.
- Place the baking and roasting rack on shelf position 1.
- Select Combi mode on Fan Plus at 225°C + 0% moisture + 20 minutes and preheat oven.
- Place a large ovenproof stockpot into the oven and allow to heat for 2 minutes.
- Add oil to the pot and return to the oven for 1 minute.
- Add laksa paste, stir briefly and return to the oven. After 10 minutes stir the paste again.
- Remove from oven, turn oven off and leave the door ajar to drop in temperature.
- Add stock and coconut cream to the stockpot and whisk together.
- Return to the oven and Steam at 100°C for 10 minutes.
- Add noodles, tofu and baby spinach and Steam at 100° for 3 minutes.
- Combine the cashews, crispy shallots, chilli powder and a pinch of sea salt flakes in a bowl.
- Serve into bowls with the spring onion, lime, bean sprouts, coriander leaf and cashew crumb.
Hints and tips
- To cook without a combi steam oven, fry paste on high heat, induction setting 7 for 10 minutes, then continue recipe in a steam oven.
- This recipe can also be converted to a cooktop recipe. Fry paste on high heat, induction setting 7, for 10 minutes. Add stock and coconut cream to the stockpot, whisk together and simmer for 10 minutes on medium-high heat, induction setting 6-7. Add noodles, tofu and baby spinach and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- This recipe is vegan but additions of fish sauce, chicken or prawns can easily be added.