|4 x chicken marylands
200g button mushrooms
8 garlic cloves
1 bunch Dutch carrots, peeled
500ml pinot noir
4 bay leaves
4 star anise
4 juniper berries
1 celery heart
100g pancetta cut into lardons 4cm x 1.5cm
200ml chicken stock
|4 baby onions, peeled
120g white wine vinegar
|6 sprigs of tarragon
Murray River Sea Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons cultured butter
- Place chicken, skin side down, mushrooms, garlic, wine, bay leaves, star anise, cloves, juniper berries and celery in a large ceramic dish and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Strain and reserve the liquid.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, Induction setting 6-7. Sauté vegetables and spices until coloured. Remove from pan and set aside
- Heat the marinating liquid in the same pan on high heat, induction setting 8. Reduce the heat to medium-high, Induction setting 7 and cook until the liquid is reduced to 100ml. Add the chicken stock and return to the boil.
- Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 170°C.
- Place the chicken and vegetables in a solid steam tray and pour over the boiling stock.
- Cook the lardons in a separate pan on medium-high heat, Induction setting 7 until crispy and then add to the chicken.
- Place chicken on shelf position 2.
- Select Combination Mode.
- Select Fan Plus at 170°C + 1 hour + 100% Moisture.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and pull the knuckle from the leg and discard. Strain liquid and cook on medium- high heat, Induction setting 7 until liquid has thickened a little.
- Add butter and tarragon, whisk to combine before pouring over the chicken and vegetables.
- Peel and cut onions in half horizontally. Place onions in a sterilised jar.
- Bring the water, vinegar and sugar to the boil on medium heat, Induction setting 6-7, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Pour hot pickling liquid over onions and seal jar. Set aside to cool.
- Scatter pickled onion petals around the chicken.
- Serve with crusty bread and butter.