Chilli braised beef
2 ancho dried chillies
2 chipotle dried chillies
1 pasilla dried chilli
500 ml (2 cups) water, boiled
2 tbsp (40 ml) vegetable oil
2 kg beef brisket, diced into 3 cm pieces
35 g (¼ cup) cornflour
450 g double smoked bacon, roughly chopped
2 brown onions, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
½ bunch oregano, roughly chopped
60 g (¼ cup) tomato paste
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 x 400 g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400 g tin diced tomato
1 ½ litres beef stock
½ bunch coriander, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
280 g (1 2/3 cups) instant polenta
1 ½ tbsp baking powder
200 g cheddar, grated
600 ml buttermilk
1 jalapeño chilli, finely diced
½ bunch coriander, finely chopped
Sour cream, to serve
1 jalapeño chilli, thinly sliced
Chilli braised beef
1. Preheat the oven on Top Heat at 150°C.
2. Place dried chillies onto a universal tray. Place in the preheated oven on shelf position 5 and toast for 4 minutes, or until fragrant.
3. Remove from the oven and place in a heatproof bowl. Cover with the boiling water and leave to hydrate for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, change the oven function to Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 130°C with 2 manual bursts of steam.
5. Lightly dust beef with 1 tablespoon of the cornflour.
6. Preheat the oil in a medium gourmet oven dish on high heat, induction setting 8.
7. Cook the beef pieces in batches until browned. Remove from the gourmet oven dish.
8. Add bacon to the gourmet oven dish and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Reduce heat to induction setting 5, add onion, garlic, oregano, tomato paste, and spices and cook for 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.
10. Strain chillies, reserving ½ cup of liquid. Blend the chillies with the liquid.
11. Add blended chillies, kidney beans, diced tomato, beef pieces and beef stock to the gourmet oven dish. Increase heat to induction setting 9 and bring to a boil. Season to taste.
12. Remove from heat and place in the oven on shelf position 2 and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, releasing the first burst of steam immediately and the second burst of steam after 30 minutes.
13. When the braised beef is cooked, make a paste with the remaining cornflour and an equal amount of water. Stir the cornflour paste through the beef, along with the chopped coriander and set aside.
1. Change the oven function to Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 180°C with 1 manual burst of steam.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
3. Add heaped tablespoons of the dumpling mixture across the surface of the beef.
4. Place into the oven on shelf position 2, releasing the burst of steam immediately.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until corn bread dumplings are firm and golden.
1. Serve chilli braised beef with sour cream and jalapeño chilli.
Hints and tips
- Traditional polenta cannot be used for this dish, it needs to be instant polenta.
- These Mexican chillies add a lot of flavour to this dish. They can be found in speciality stores or online.