200 g (1 ⅓ cup) plain flour
80 g (⅔ cup) ground almonds
75 g (½ cup) icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
Pinch salt flakes
125 g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
- Combine the flour, almonds, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and vanilla; gently rub the butter into the flour mixture. The result should look like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and bring the mixture together with your hands.
- Gently knead until the mixture is a soft ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Take heaped teaspoons of the mixture and shape into crescents. Place onto 2 baking trays, leaving some space between the cookies.
- Place the trays on shelf levels 2 and 4 and bake on Fan Plus at 160°C for 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool to room temperature and generously dust in extra icing sugar.