1 ham leg, on the bone
425 g tinned pineapple pieces
375 ml ginger beer
300 g brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
2 tsp fennel seeds
- In a saucepan place pineapple, ginger beer, brown sugar, cinnamon, star anise and fennel seeds.
- Bring to the boil on medium-high heat, induction setting 7.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook on medium heat, induction setting 4 for 15 minutes, or until reduced by half. Strain, keeping the liquid and discarding the solids.
- Preheat the oven on Moisture Plus at 150°C with 3 manual bursts of steam.
- Remove the rind by sliding fingers under the skin, leaving as much fat as possible behind.
- Score a diamond pattern into the fat at ½ cm depth.
- Pour half the glaze into an extra-large oven dish. Place the ham fat side down into the oven dish and then pour over the remaining glaze.
- Place the ham on shelf position 2, adding 1 burst of steam immediately and cook for 30 minutes.
- Carefully turn the ham over, baste with glaze and then release a second burst of steam. Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Baste the ham again and release the third burst of steam. Cook for a further 30 minutes, basting the ham every 5-10 minutes.
- Should you wish a darker more pronounced glaze, continue cooking for an extra 10-15 minutes.
Hints and tips
- This method can also be used for a half leg of ham without adjusting the method.