2 garlic bulbs, whole
Vegetable oil, to cover
1.2 kg waxy potatoes
80 g (⅓ cup) duck fat
Rosemary, to serve
- Break the garlic into individual cloves, leaving the skins on.
- Place the garlic in a small saucepan and cover with vegetable oil. Using medium heat, induction Setting 6 slowly bring up to temperature until you see small bubbles rising from the bottom of the pan (approximately 7-8 minutes).
Reduce heat to low, induction setting 3 and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes or until all the garlic cloves are soft.
- Allow to cool and keep in refrigerator.
- Peel and cut the potatoes to desired size.
- Place in a perforated steam container and steam at 100°C for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven on Fan Plus at 200°C with crisp function activated.
- Place the gourmet casserole dish on shelf level 2. Allow 15 minutes for the dish to heat up. Add the duck fat, continue to heat for 2 minutes.
Add the cooked potatoes to the oven dish and season well with salt.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown, turning the potatoes every 10 minutes.
Once cooked, remove from the oven, drain on paper towel.
- Squeeze over the garlic cloves, squeezing out of the skins, make it as garlicky as you desire, I like a lot.
- Drizzle over some garlic oil and add some picked rosemary leaves, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and serve.
Hints and tips
- Waxy potatoes work well for this recipe, such as Dutch cream, King Edward, desiree or nicola potatoes.
- The garlic confit will keep for weeks covered in the oil.