|225g plain flour
5g salt flakes
150g unsalted butter, diced
80ml iced water
Plain flour, extra for dusting
Egg wash, for glazing
365g pumpkin puree
350ml crème fraiche
130g egg yolks (approximately 8)
120g caster sugar
2½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
375ml thickened cream
2 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Place flour and salt into a bowl of a food processor and pulse until combined. Add in butter and process until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs
2. While the machine is still running, gradually add in iced water until mixture starts to come together.
3. Shape pastry into a flat disc and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Dust work bench with flour and using a rolling pin, roll out pastry to 5mm thick. Transfer to a greased 23cm pie tin.
5. Trim the edges of the pastry allowing a 2cm overhang. Crimp the edges of the pastry using your knuckle to create a pattern. Return pie shell to the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
6. Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus at 180°C.
7. Re-roll pastry scraps and cut into leaf patterns. Brush with egg wash and bake in the Oven on shelf position 2 for approximately 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
8. Line the side and base of the pie shell with a sheet of foil, shiny side down. Fill with pie weights or rice.
9. Blind bake in the Oven for approximately 30 minutes. Carefully remove pie from oven and gently lift out foil and weights. Return pie shell back to the Oven and bake for a further 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
1. Pre-heat Oven on Intensive Bake at 140°C.
2. In a bowl of a food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth.
3. Pour filling into cooked pie shell. Tap gently to remove any air bubbles.
4. Bake on shelf position 1 for 50-55 minutes until the centre is firm and has risen.
5. Turn Oven off and leave pie in the Oven with the door ajar to cool slowly. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill overnight.
1. Whip cream in a bowl of a freestanding mixer with whisk attachment until from soft peaks. Add in maple syrup and vanilla and combine.
2. Remove pie from tin. Garnish with pastry leaves and serve with maple cream.
Hints and tips
• Pie pastry can be frozen for up to 1 month.
• Pumpkin pie filling can be purchased online or through USA Foods.
• Pumpkin pie spice contains cassia, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, mace and clove.