175g leftover Christmas pudding
2-3 tablespoons brandy or orange liqueur
4 large egg yolks
100g caster sugar
300ml double cream
150g dark chocolate 65%, chopped
110g caster sugar
150g plain flour
200g egg whites
400g caster sugar
- Break up the Christmas pudding with a fork, add the brandy and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar and cream.
- Place into an unperforated steam container and Steam at 85°C for 20 minutes.
Pour into a bowl of a freestanding mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Add the chocolate and whisk on low speed until the chocolate has melted and is fully incorporated.
- Fold the plum pudding mixture into the chocolate mixture with a large spoon. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven on Fan Plus at 160°C.
- Place the eggs and sugar into a bowl of a freestanding mixer and whisk on high speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Lightly fold in the flour and mix until fully combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto 2 baking paper lined baking trays.
- Change cooking setting to Combi Mode, Fan Plus 160°C + 40% moisture, cook for 5-7
minutes, or until lightly golden in colour and sponge springs back when touched gently.
- Remove sponge from the oven and allow to cool.
- Grease and line a 1 litre bowl with cling wrap. Cut the sponge into 2 disks, one to fit the
base of the bowl and one to fit the top of the bowl.
- Cut remaining sponge into strips for the sides of the bowl.
- Line the bowl with the sponge, reserving the large disk of sponge to fit the top of the bowl
to cover the ice cream.
- Pour ice cream mixture on top of the sponge and smooth out the mixture with a crank
angled palette knife.
- Place the large sponge disk on top. Cover with cling wrap and freeze for at least 3-4 hours, or until solid.
- Place the sugar and egg whites into solid steam tray. Cover with foil or cling wrap and Steam at 65°C for 25 minutes. The temperature of egg mixture should be 58°C when tested with a digital thermometer and sugar should now be dissolved.
- Pour meringue mixture into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a clean dry whisk.
Whisk on high speed for 5 minutes, until the meringue has increased in volume and is white and glossy. Lift whisk to check consistency, the meringue should hold firm with a slight bend to the peak.
- Unmould the frozen pudding on a plate lined with baking paper.
- Swirl meringue over sponge, covering completely (or pipe in little peaks) to cover the sponge entirely.
- Use a kitchen blow torch to brown the meringue and serve.