100 ml kombucha
50 g sugar
50 ml vinegar
1 star anise
1 small pineapple, peeled,
chopped into batons, 5mm thick
2 confit duck legs, meat picked
off the bone
100 g pancetta, 1cm x 1cm cubes
4 small shallots, finely diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp raspberry vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
½ cup grapeseed oil
½ lemon, juiced
2 cups shredded young kale
leaves, stems removed
½ cup fermented red cabbage
50 g yellow frisée lettuce, picked, washed
½ bunch Thai basil, chopped
2 duck legs
100 g sea salt
2 tbsp eight-spice powder
3 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1kg duck fat
2 ½ tsp juniper berries
5 star anise
2 tsp cloves
1 tsp white peppercorns
½ tsp cardamom seeds
1 large cinnamon quill
1 small pinch saffron
2 tsp salt flakes
- Grind the spices and salt to a fine powder in a spice grinder, or mortar and pestle.
- Toast the ground spices in a large frying pan over a medium heat, induction setting 6 until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container and use as required.
- Sprinkle each duck leg with salt, eight-spice powder and the herbs. Leave to cure for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Wash and pat dry. Place a resting rack in a medium sized gourmet oven dish. Place the duck legs on top ensuring to stretch the skin to cover the whole leg.
- Cover with duck fat and confit in the oven on Conventional at 110°C on shelf position 2 for 6-8 hours. The meat should nearly fall off the bone. Once cooked, carefully drain on a resting rack and leave to chill in the refrigerator.
- Pick the meat off the legs and keep in a container until needed.
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring to the boil the kombucha, sugar, vinegar and star anise on high heat, induction setting 8.
- Turn off the heat, and add the pineapple and leave to macerate for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, induction setting 5-6. Heat the duck and warm the diced pancetta.
- Add the shallots and garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Turn up the heat to induction setting 8 and deglaze with the vinegar, maple syrup and oil.
Season with lemon juice and mix with the kale, pickled pineapple and fermented red cabbage.
- Remove and slide the warm salad into a large bowl, add the frisée lettuce and basil, season well and serve on a shallow platter.