125g unsalted butter
110g dark brown sugar
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
80g candied citrus peel, finely chopped
350g plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bi-carb soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed aniseed
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice
125g candied citrus, finely chopped, extra
120g pure icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons white rum
125g pure icing sugar extra to dust
1 tablespoon pink peppercorns, extra
1. Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 160°C.
2. Place butter, sugar and zest in a bowl of a freestanding mixer with paddle attachment, beat until pale and creamy. Add the honey and mix until just combined.
3. Add the egg and beat until mixed thoroughly, followed by the candied citrus peel.
5. In a separate bowl, sift flour, bicarb soda, baking powder and spices.
6. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter and mix on low speed until ingredients are just combined to form a soft dough.
7. Roll the dough into 15g balls, top with candied citrus or bake plain for iced version. Place onto baking tray leaving space between the biscuits as they will spread.
8. Place in the oven on shelf positions 2 and 4. Bake for 15 minutes.
9. Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar.
1. Place icing sugar into a bowl, make a well in the centre and gradually whisk in water and rum until forms a smooth icing.
2. Dip baked biscuits into the icing and roll in sifted icing sugar. Place on baking paper lined tray and top with candied fruits or pink peppercorns.
HINTS AND TIPS
• Pfeffernüsse is traditionally served during Christmas.
• Store biscuits in an airtight container, they will keep for up to 3 weeks.
• The uncooked dough will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Roll and bake straight from the refrigerator.