900 g panettone
500 ml milk
500 ml cream
½ cup sugar
2 vanilla pods, seeds removed
2 oranges, zest
Butter, for frying
80 g butter, melted
80 g brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
125 g butter
125 g brown sugar
250 ml cream
- Grease and line the DGG 3 unperforated steam container and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and zest until combined.
- Slice the panettone into thirds and then cut each third vertically in half. Have the long end of the panettone facing you, and cut into 1.5 cm – 2 cm slices.
- Place the panettone slices into the prepared steam container, and press down to fit.
- Pour over half of the egg mixture and then push down the panettone so it soaks up the mixture. Pour over the rest of the mixture and once again make sure the panettone is fully submerged.
- Place the steam container in the combi steam oven on shelf position 2. Select Combi Mode + Fan Plus at 160°C + 50% moisture and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before placing in the refrigerator to allow the pudding to set fully for a minimum of 4 hours, or ideally overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Preheat a griddle plate on a medium heat, induction setting 6.
- Halve the peaches and remove the stone, brush the brown sugar mix over the cut side of the peach.
- Place the peaches, cut side down onto the griddle plate and grill for 2-3 minutes, or until you have started to achieve a caramelised crust and the peaches begin to soften. Flip over and grill for a further 60-90 seconds, depending on the firmness of the peach.
- Remove the panettone pudding from the steam container, cut in half lengthways and slice thickly, approximately 3 cm in thickness. Remove any uneven edges to form neat rectangular slices.
- Place a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, induction setting 6 and add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once the butter has melted and the frying pan is hot, add a few pieces of the sliced panettone to the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter. Place on medium-high heat, induction setting 7, and whisk until the mixture is bubbling and the sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk in the cream and remove from heat.
- Place two pieces of French toast onto a plate, with half a grilled peach and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Hints and tips
- Leftover slices of French toast can be frozen prior to frying.
- For a salted caramel sauce, simply whisk in 2 teaspoons of salt after you have added the cream.
- Any stone fruits can be substituted for the peaches.