200g dark chocolate 70%
250g hazelnut meal
8 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1 punnet blueberries
1 punnet raspberries
1 punnet strawberries
60g egg yolks
1 vanilla pod, seeds removed
400g thickened cream
Hazelnut Chocolate Meringue
1. Pre-heat the oven on Fan Plus at 160°C and grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
2. Place the chocolate in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once frozen, place in a food processor and
process until they resemble fine coffee granules.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff and then gradually add the sugar while beating. When firm
peaks have formed, carefully fold the chocolate and hazelnut meal into the egg white
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer
comes out clean. Remove from the cake tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
1. In a medium sized pot, heat the milk and the vanilla on low heat, Induction setting 5 to
a simmer, being careful not to scorch the pot.
2. Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour. Carefully pour approximately half of the
milk mixture into the egg, whisk and then add the mixture back to the pot.
3. Whisk over medium heat, Induction setting 6, until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble.
4. Transfer the custard to a food processor with a whisk attachment, whisk until the custard
is smooth and shiny. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
5. Whip the cream until soft peaks form, fold into the custard mixture, cover and refrigerate
1. Spoon the crème diplomat over the cake and top with berries before serving.