500g Granny Smith apples, grated
375g raisins, chopped
250g mixed peel, chopped
250g butter, melted
375g brown sugar
1 orange, zest and juice
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons mixed spice
150ml brandy or rum
350g self-raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
100-150ml iced water (approximately)
1. Combine all ingredients in a container or large bowl. Cover well and place in the refrigerator.
Stir every few days.
1. Place flour and butter into a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and gradually add
water, pulse until it forms a dough.
2. Press dough into a disc shape and wrap in cling wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat oven on Moisture Plus at 180°C with 1 manual burst of steam.
4. Roll pastry out onto a floured surface, using a pastry cutter, cut out 7cm rounds and line a greased mini muffin tin. Place a
teaspoon of fruit mince into each pastry case.
5. Cut star shapes and use to cover the pies. Brush the tops with egg wash.
6. Place tin on shelf position 2, releasing steam immediately. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow tarts to cool in the tin
for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
1. Dust with icing sugar.
HINTS AND TIPS
• Fruit mince will keep for months in sterilised jars and flavour improves with time.
• Fruit mince pies can be cooked in the Steam Combination Oven. Pre-heat on Fan Plus at 180°C, then place pies into oven, release
a burst of steam immediately and cook for 20 minutes.