4 cups roast duck, picked
2 x 375g puff pastry, cut to size of pie dish
1 egg, beaten
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 sprigs thyme
500g Swiss Brown mushrooms, sliced
750ml chicken or duck stock
250ml Marsala or Madeira wine
50g dried Porcini mushrooms, soaked in 250ml hot water
2 tbs plain flour
½ lemon, to taste
Murray River salt flakes, to taste
1. In a heavy-based frying pan heat the oil on medium heat, Induction setting 6. Cook the onion, garlic and thyme without colouring. Add the Swiss Brown mushrooms and lightly sauté. Add the chicken stock and wine. Bring to the boil and reduce by half.
2. Add the reconstituted Porcini mushrooms and soaking water, cook for 15 minutes
3. Place the mixture in a food processor and process until roughly chopped. Adjust the seasoning with salt, lemon juice and finely zested lemon rind.
4. Combine the duck and the mushroom mixture together with the flour.
1. Place the pie mixture into a large pie or deep dish baking tray or individual ceramic pie dishes. Fill each dish ¾ full.
2. Cover each pie with puff pastry and seal the sides of the pastry and dish by pressing the pastry firmly against the side of the dish. Brush the tops with egg wash very generously. Keep the pies uncovered in the Refrigerator until ready for use.
3. When ready to bake, pre-heat the Oven on Fan Plus at 180°C and bake for 20 minutes or until the purée starts to ooze from the sides of the pastry seal and the pastry itself is golden and crisp.
Hints and tips
• Roasting 6 x duck marylands will yield approx. 4 cups picked meat.