750 g chicken thighs, skin off,
2 cm diced
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
6 sprigs thyme
1 garlic clove, crushed
Sour cream pastry
200 g unsalted butter, chilled,
1 cm cubes
250 g plain flour
125 ml sour cream
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
40 g unsalted butter
2 leeks, sliced
½ small fennel bulb, diced
40 g plain flour
150 ml chicken stock
1 tbsp seeded mustard
1 tbsp tarragon, chopped
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
1. Combine the marinade ingredients with the chicken. Place into a large vacuum sealing bag.
2. Place into the vacuum sealing drawer and Vacuum on level 3 and Seal on level 3. Place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
Sour cream pastry
1. In a food processor, pulse the butter and flour until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs.
2. Add the sour cream and continue to pulse until just before the dough starts to form a ball.
3. Remove from the food processor and bring the mixture together using your hands on a floured benchtop.
4. Shape into a rectangle to make it easier to roll out later. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Once the pastry has rested, divide it in half. Roll out one half to form a 27 cm diameter circle for the pie base.
6. Fit the pie base pastry into a 23 cm non-stick springform pie tin, ensuring the pastry is coming up all sides. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Trim the excess pastry from around the top edge with a small sharp knife.
7. Roll out the other half of the pastry to form the pie top. Wrap and set aside in the refrigerator to rest until required.
1. In a frying pan on medium-high heat, induction setting 7, heat the olive oil and add the chicken pieces. Cook the chicken in batches until browned on all sides. Set aside.
2. In the same frying pan, add the butter. As it begins to melt, add the leek and fennel. Cook on medium heat, induction setting 5, until soft and translucent, approximately 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the flour and stir to coat all of the ingredients. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock, stirring to deglaze the pan. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, before adding the seeded mustard, tarragon, chicken pieces and seasoning. Stir to combine, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
1. Add the egg yolk and milk to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
1. Preheat the oven on Intensive Bake at 180°C.
2. Spread the pie filling evenly into the pastry base.
3. Brush the egg wash along the top edge of the pastry base.
4. Carefully top with the remaining pastry. To seal, pinch the pastry base edges and top together decoratively around the entire pie edge.
5. Brush the pie top with the remaining egg wash and use a sharp knife to score slits into the pastry top.
6. Place the pie on a universal tray on shelf position 1 and bake for 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
Hints and tips
• If you don’t have a vacuum sealing drawer, place the chicken marinade ingredients into a bowl, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
• Tarragon can be replaced with additional thyme.