2 tsp (10) green cardamom pods,
375 ml (1 ½ cups) full cream milk
50 g salted butter
500 g (4 1/3 cups) Baker’s flour
75 g (½ cup) raw caster sugar
2 tsp (7 g) dried yeast
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt flakes
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp pearl or raw sugar
1 tbsp (20) cardamom pods
75 g salted butter, softened
55 g (¼ cup) golden (raw)
- Add the cardamom pods and milk to a small saucepan and warm on medium heat, induction setting 6, for 5 minutes or until steaming but not boiling. Remove from the heat, add the butter and set aside for 5 minutes to cool to approximately 37⁰C.
- Combine the flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt into the bowl of a freestanding mixer with a dough hook attachment. Strain the warm milk through a sieve into the flour and discard the cardamom pods. Mix for 5 minutes on medium speed, or until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl. Place into the oven on Prove yeast dough and prove for 45 minutes, or until dough doubles in size.
- Make the cardamom butter while the dough proves.
- Line two baking trays with reusable silicon mats or baking paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured bench and roll into a rectangle, roughly 36 cm x 48 cm, with the longer edge facing you.
- Spread the cardamom butter over the surface, right to the edges. Fold the top third down to the middle and the bottom third up, so you have three layers of dough.
- Score the dough, then cut into 12 equal strips, measuring approximately 4 x 12 cm each. Cut each strip down the centre, leaving it attached at the top. Twist each strip away from the centre two or three times then tie the dough in a knot and tuck the ends underneath.
- Place the buns on the lined trays and place back into the oven to prove for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the buns from the oven, brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the pearl sugar.
- Place in the combi steam Pro oven and Select Automatic Programmes / Bread rolls / Viennese Butter Brioche and follow the prompts. Alternatively select User Programmes and create the following:
Stage 1: Select Combi mode: Fan Plus at 180⁰C + 5 minutes
Stage 2: Select Combi mode: Fan Plus at 180°C + 100% moisture + 5 minutes
Stage 3: Select Combi mode: Fan Plus at 180°C + 70% moisture + 5 minutes
Stage 4: Select Combi mode: Fan Plus at 180°C + 0% moisture + 5 minutes
Save and start the programme. Place the rolls on shelf
- Crack the remaining cardamom pods using a pestle and mortar. Prise them open and tip the seeds back into the mortar, discarding the pods. Crush the seeds to a powder, then combine with the sugar and softened butter.
Hints and tips
- The buns can also be cooked in the oven on Fan Plus with Moisture Plus at 190°C with two manual bursts of steam. Bake for 22 minutes, releasing the first burst of steam immediately and the second burst of steam after 6 minutes.
- Cardamom buns are commonly served in Sweden as part of the tradition of Fika, where coffee is served with delicious pastries. Outside of Sweden these delicious cardamom buns have become more popular to share for special occasions. Your own personalised coffee can be made with a Miele coffee machine with a touch of a button.
- Pearl sugar, also called nib sugar is a compressed white sugar that is coarse and hard. It doesn’t dissolve but rather caramelises giving a nice finish to baked goods. It can be found in specialised grocers or online.