Flourless Chocolate Easter Cakes
150g dark chocolate, chopped
100ml fresh orange juice (1 orange)
1 teaspoon finely grated zest of an orange
150g soft unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
60g ground almonds
50g coconut flour
3 teaspoons mixed spice
20g Valrhona cocoa powder
Equal quantities of egg whites and sugar. Lemon juice and lemon zest to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to Moisture Plus at 175C with 1 manual burst of steam.
- Melt the chocolate and butter separately on Induction setting 2-3.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk until pale in colour and tripled in volume.
- Combine the orange juice, orange zest, chocolate, cocoa powder and butter.
- Add the coconut flour and fold into the mixture. Fold this mixture, along with the coconut four, into the eggs and sugar.
- Next add the ground almonds, mixed spice and sultanas into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into ½ cup silicon moulds.
- Place the buns into the oven on shelf position 2, and inject the burst of steam immediately. Bake for approximately 15 minutes. The buns should be slightly undercooked in the centre.Bake on shelf position 3 for approximately 15 minutes. The buns should be slightly undercooked in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and stand for 1 minute before draping a clean dry tea towel over the top to stop the buns forming a crust. Although a cracked and cratered surface is to be expected; this process avoids the buns becoming crunchy.
- To finish, place the mini buns on a baking paper lined tray in a round formation.
- Mix equal quantities of egg whites and sugar to create the icing. Add lemon juice and lemon zest to taste. Decorate the buns with the icing in a long sweeping motion to achieve the beloved ‘hot cross bun’ look we all know and love. Serve with butter if desired.