500 g blackberries (about 3 cups)
330 g (1 ½ cups) white sugar
6 sprigs thyme
1 lemon, zested and juiced
185 ml (¾ cup) sherry vinegar
185 ml (¾ cup) water
- Combine the berries, sugar, thyme and lemon rind in a saucepan, cover with a lid. Place on low heat, induction setting 1, for 30 minutes to allow the juices to be released from the berries.
- Increase heat to medium, induction setting 5, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice, vinegar and water and simmer for 5 minutes, or until mixture is almost boiling.
- Cover and set aside to 12 hours or overnight.
- Strain the syrup and pour into sterlised bottles.
Pour 2 tbsp of the shrub in a glass, top with sparkling water and ice cubes.
Hints and tips
- A shrub is a non-alcoholic syrup made of fruit juices, sugar and vinegar.
- Sterilise the bottles using the sterilise function on Miele steam ovens. Alternatively steam the bottles upside down for 10 minutes at 100⁰C.