250g walnuts, freshly roasted and skins rubbed
18g fresh yeast or 7g dried yeast
½ teaspoon castor sugar
2 tablespoons warm water
200g hard white flour
150g wholemeal flour
100g spelt flour
3 egg yolks
250ml full cream milk
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons Walnut oil
1 egg white
Equal quantity of milk
300g soft, white mould blue cheese
- Warm the milk and set aside. Make a slurry of the yeast and sugar and warm water and leave to rise.
- Combine the flours and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk together the egg yolks and walnut oil. With the mixer on slow speed, slowly pour in the egg yolk mixture into the flour, then slowly pour in the yeast mixture and warm milk making sure all is incorporated.
- Put the dough out on a floured bench and knead for a few minutes, adding extra flour if needed until the dough is smooth, add the walnuts and knead to combine. Brush a mixing bowl with a little more walnut oil and add the dough. Place into the oven and prove on Steam 40˚C for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 3 to 4 minutes then divide in 2. Shape into loaves and place into bread tins brushed with a little walnut oil. Place into the oven on a wire rack and select Combination Mode and bake with the following settings:
Stage 1: 40°C + 10 minutes + 85% moisture
Stage 2: 200°C + 15 minutes + 85% moisture
Stage 3: 180°C + 15 minutes + 20% moisture
- Remove from the combination oven and turn out onto wire racks to cool. Slice and serve with pieces of blue cheese and honeycomb.