4 eggs, room temperature,
210 g caster sugar
200 g vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon zest
460 g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cup icing sugar, sieved
80g egg yolks
160 g caster sugar
20 ml Marsala
20 ml Tia Maria or coffee liqueur
625 g cream
625 g mascarpone
40 ml Marsala
40 ml Tia Maria or coffee liqueur
150 ml espresso
150 g chocolate, grated
Unperforated steam container
1. Measure a piece of baking paper to fit a baking tray. Rule 14 cm x 8 cm long lines in two rows on the baking paper to guide your piping. Complete these steps for three baking trays.
2. Preheat the oven on Fan Plus at 170°C.
3. In a bowl of a freestanding mixer with a whisk attachment, add the egg whites and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
4. Gradually add the sugar and beat until combined. Add the egg yolks and whisk for approximately 1 minute, or until well combined.
5. Reduce the mixing speed to medium and gradually add the oil in a running stream, followed by the vanilla and lemon zest. Mix until combined.
6. Remove from the mixer and fold in the flour and baking powder. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a half inch round nozzle.
7. Pipe the biscuit mixture onto the ruled lines and dust generously with icing sugar.
8. Place the baking trays into the oven on shelf positions 1, 3 and 5 and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool. The biscuits will harden as they cool.
1. In a bowl of a freestanding mixer with whisk attachment, add egg yolks, sugar, Marsala and coffee liqueur. Whisk until well combined and fluffy.
2. Transfer egg yolk mixture into an unperforated steam container and cover. Place in the steam oven and Steam at 85°C for 15 minutes.
3. Return egg yolk mixture to the bowl of a freestanding mixer with whisk attachment, whisk again until pale and fluffy. Refrigerate to cool.
4. In a bowl of a freestanding mixer with whisk attachment, combine the cream and mascarpone and whip until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold the egg yolk mixture through the cream and mascarpone until evenly distributed. Place in the refrigerator until required.
1. In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together to combine.
1. Cover the bottom of a serving dish with a layer of mascarpone mixture.
2. Dip the savoiardi biscuits into the coffee syrup for 2-3 seconds and lay the biscuits flat on top of the mascarpone layer until the base is entirely covered.
3. Top with another layer of mascarpone, followed by grated chocolate. Cover again with soaked biscuits.
4. Repeat this process until the serving dish is almost full, leaving room for a final layer of mascarpone.
5. Cover the top completely with mascarpone and dust generously with cocoa powder.
6. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Hints and tips
• For best results, tiramisu should be left overnight in refrigerator before serving.
• This recipe can be modified to make individual serves. Follow the same process of layering in your chosen serving dishes and trim or break savoiardi biscuits to size.