500g plain flour
30g caster sugar
5g baking powder
300ml lukewarm water
10g dried yeast
50g butter, melted
5g table salt
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine water, yeast and melted butter in a mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook. Add dry ingredients and combine on speed 1 for 4 minutes.
- Add salt to dough and continue to knead on speed 2 for 4 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and Steam at 40˚C, uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove dough from the Steam Oven and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and portion dough into 30g pieces; roll each piece into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll into an oval shape, approximately 8cm. Brush the dough with a little olive oil and fold in half crosswise.
- Place on a baking paper lined perforated steam tray, 4cm apart. Prove buns in Steam Oven at 40˚C, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Place trays in the Steam Oven and steam at 100˚C, uncovered for 15 minutes.
Hints and tips
- The bun recipe can be doubled without the dough being compromised; cooked buns can then be frozen for future use. Freeze in an airtight container and store for up to 3 months.
- If the buns have been frozen, re-heat on a perforated steam tray lined with baking paper and steam at 100˚C for 1 minute.
- Multiple variations of filling can be used for this recipe such as pulled pork, chicken or lamb.