1 sheet butter puff pastry
1 whole smoked rainbow trout,
skin and bones removed, lightly
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
2 tablespoons salmon roe
Micro herbs & flowers to garnish
600ml thickened cream (35%)
2 tablespoon cultured buttermilk
1. Pour cream and buttermilk into a jug and stir until fully combined.
2. Divide mixture into 4 x 125ml sterilised glass jars. Cover with jar lids until finger tight.
3. Place jars in a Perforated steam tray. Steam at 40°C for 5 hours.
4. Allow the crème fraiche to set in the refrigerator overnight.
Soured cream tart
1. Cut the puff pastry into approximately 4x4cm squares. Cut out 12 pieces and place onto
a baking paper lined baking tray.
2. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes. Pre-heat the oven on Fan Plus 190°C.
3. Place another sheet of baking paper on top of pastry and top with another baking tray to
weigh down the pastry.
4. Bake in the oven on shelf position 2 for 10 minutes and then remove the top tray and paper.
Return to the oven and bake for a further 3-5 minutes until the pastry is a golden and crisp.
5. Allow pastry to cool at room temperature.
1. Top pastry squares with half a teaspoon of crème fraiche followed by a piece of trout.
Garnish with salmon roe, soft herbs and flowers.
• Live yoghurt can be substituted for cultured buttermilk to start the fermentation
in the crème fraiche.
• Placing another Baking tray on top of the pastry prevents the puff from rising too much
and provides a crisper result.
• Smoked trout can be substituted with hot smoked salmon, mackerel or other oily fish.