390g spelt flour
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ teaspoon sugar
10g fresh yeast
24 large scallops in shells with roe
Murray River Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150ml fish stock
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tarragon leaves
½ cup bulb finger fennel (or baby fennel), finely diced
¼ cup of carrot, peeled and finely diced
¼ cup stick celery, finely diced
¼ cup leek, finely julienned
¼ cup zucchini, core removed, finely julienned
40ml white wine
20ml vermouth (Noilly Pratt)
¼ teaspoon Murray River Sea Salt
teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Combine all ingredients a bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Work the dough on speed 3 for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven on conventional at 40°C. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Prove in the oven for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Place the dough on a clean, floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the scallops from their shell and separate the roe from the scallop. Season the roe and pierce once with the point of a paring knife. This will prevent the roe from curling during the cooking process. Set aside in the refrigerator until required.
- Clean 8 shells with a brush and soapy water or clean in a dishwasher.
- Place the fish stock in a pan on medium heat, Induction setting 6-7 and bring slowly to the boil. Add the garlic and tarragon leaves.
- Add the fennel and cook for 1 minute before adding the carrot, celery, leek and zucchini. Cook for a further minute. Scoop the vegetables from the stock and set aside in a bowl to cool. Reserve stock.
- Place the reserved stock in a medium pan with the wine and vermouth, bring to the boil, cook until the liquid has reduced to of the original amount. Gradually whisk in the butter a little at a time, until the sauce has thickened and is smooth and shiny.
- Season the sauce with salt, cayenne and a little lemon juice and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small frypan on medium heat, Induction setting 6-7. Add the olive oil to the pan along with the scallop roe and fry for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Using aluminium foil, tear off small strips of foil and scrunch into a log shape. Turn into a circle and sit the cleaned shells (2 per person) on top to stabilise during cooking.
- Evenly distribute the vegetable mix into the base of each shell. Place 3 scallops and 3 roe on top of the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the edges of the shells with egg.
- Spoon a generous amount of the cooled sauce over the scallops.
- Pre-heat the oven on Fan Plus at 180°C.
- Portion the dough into 40g pieces. Roll dough into rounds on a lightly floured surface big enough to be 2cm larger than the diameter of the shell.
- Place discs of dough onto each shell and press to seal around the edges.
- Brush the top of the dough with egg and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden in colour.
- Serve immediately.
Hints and tips
- Spelt bread dough leftovers can be made into bread rolls.