185 ml (¾ cup) milk, warmed
Pinch saffron threads
50 g (1/3 cup) cashews
60 g ghee
300 g (2 ¼ cups) full-cream milk powder
110 g (½ cup) white sugar
2 tbsp slivered almonds
2 tbsp slivered pistachios
Rose petals, optional
- Soak the saffron in the warm milk for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend or process the cashews to make a fine powder.
- Line a 20 x 14 cm rectangular tin with baking paper.
- Place the saffron milk, ghee, milk powder, cashew powder and sugar to a large frying pan. Cook over medium heat, induction setting 5, for 10 minutes or until the mix comes away from the sides and holds it shape.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Allow it to stand for 30 minutes until set and then cut into desired shapes. Top with nuts and petals, if using.
Hints and tips
- Barfi, borfi, barfee or burfi is a dense sweet from the Indian subcontinent. Always containing milk, it can also be enriched with nuts (cashews, pistachios or peanuts) or chickpea flour.