100g duck fat
1kg Jerusalem artichokes, unpeeled and halved lengthways
1 garlic head, cloves separated
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
1 tbs red wine vinegar
100ml maple syrup
90g sesame seeds
20g cumin seeds
20g coriander seeds
2 tbs sea salt flakes
2 tbs dried thyme
1. Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus at 200°C. Place duck fat in a Gourmet oven dish and allow to melt.
2. Carefully add Jerusalem artichokes to the dish and gently toss to coat. Season to taste and roast for 25 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, stir to coat and roast for a further 15 – 20 minutes or until vegetables are dark golden and tender.
1. Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus at 180°C. Spread hazelnuts onto a Baking tray and Roast for approximately 10 minutes until toasted. Cool briefly, then tip into a tea towel and rub the skins off.
2. Toast sesame, cumin and coriander seeds on a separate Baking tray until fragrant, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Coarsely crush hazelnuts, seeds, salt and thyme with a mortar and pestle and store in an airtight container until required.
1. Serve hot with a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkling of dukkah on top.
Hints and tips
• Dukkah can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for 1 month. It can also be used to season fish, chicken or lamb.
• Parsnips can be substituted for Jerusalem artichokes.