1 x 2kg free-range or organic chicken, cut into 12 pieces
4 sprigs French tarragon or thyme
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
100ml Maggie Beer Extra Virgin
120ml Maggie Beer Verjuice
Salt flakes, to taste
125ml Maggie Beer Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons butter
80ml Maggie Beer Extra Virgin
2 large firm pears, cut into quarters
1 small sourdough loaf, approximately 500g
1½ tablespoons Maggie Beer
Red Wine Vinegar
100g walnut kernels, toasted and skins rubbed
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
Salt flakes, to taste
1. Place the chicken pieces into a large vacuum sealing bag along with the tarragon, black pepper, 80ml of the olive oil and 100ml of the Verjuice. Place into the Vacuum Sealing Drawer and vacuum on setting 3 and seal on setting 3. Refrigerate for at least 2-4 hours.
2. Pre-heat the oven on Moisture Plus at 220°C with 2 manual bursts of steam.
3. Remove the drumsticks from the marinade and arrange on a paper lined multi-purpose tray, drizzle with a little of the remaining olive oil and season to taste with salt flakes.
4. Place into the oven on shelf position 2, release the first burst of steam and bake for 7-10 minutes.
5. Turn the drumsticks and place the remaining chicken pieces onto the tray, drizzle with the remaining oil and season to taste with salt flakes.
6. Return to the oven and release the second burst of steam, bake for a further 15-20 minutes until golden brown and the juices run clear when tested with a skewer.
7. Bring the Chicken Stock to a simmer in a saucepan on medium-high heat, Induction setting 8.
8. When the chicken has cooked, remove from the oven and pour the warm stock over the chicken along with the remaining Verjuice.
9. Place into a pre-heated Warming Drawer on warming setting 3 and rest for 20–30 minutes while preparing the salad.
1. In a large frying pan, brown the butter on medium heat, Induction setting 6, add 20ml of olive oil to stop the butter burning, place the pears cut side down in the butter and sear for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden but still firm.
2. Transfer the pears to a paper lined baking tray, retain the frying pan and butter for the bread.
3. Trim the crust from the bread and cut into three slices, approximately 4cm thick, place into the frying pan and lightly fry on all sides on medium heat, Induction setting 6.
4. Remove the pan from heat and transfer the bread to the tray with the pears and season with a little salt.
5. Place the tray into the oven on shelf position 2 and bake on Fan Plus at 230°C for 5-10 minutes until the bread pieces are evenly browned and crisp.
6. In a large salad bowl, mix together the vinegar and remaining olive oil, taste to check the balance.
7. Tear the bread into pieces to expose the soft centre then add the pears, toasted walnuts, and freshly chopped parsley. Toss gently to combine.
1. Arrange the rested chicken pieces onto a warm serving platter with the bread salad.
2. Drizzle with juices from the roasting tray and serve.
Hints and tips
- • Depending on the ripeness of the pears, you may not need to place them in the Oven when toasting the bread. In this case pan sear and set aside.
• Whilst the best variety of new season pears become available through autumn and winter, this salad can be equally good through late spring and summer with seasonal stone fruit and perfectly ripe figs.