375 ml (1 ½ cups) warm water (approximately 37°C)
2 tsp (7 g) dried yeast
3 tsp malt syrup
750 g (5 cups) Baker’s flour
1 tbsp salt flakes
2 tsp malt syrup, extra
35 g (¼ cup) poppy seeds
- Combine the water, yeast and malt syrup in a small jug, set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl of a freestanding mixer with a dough hook attachment, lightly mix flour and salt on low speed. Pour in the yeast mixture.
- Continue to mix in the freestanding mixer on low speed for a further 15 minutes.
- Portion the dough into 10 equal pieces or weigh to 110g each, roll into a ball then push a hole through the middle with your finger and gently stretch the dough out for that classic bagel shape.
- Place the bagels into a lightly oiled perforated steam container. Select Prove yeast dough for 30 minutes and place the bagels into the combi steam oven.
- Once the bagels have proved, Steam at 100°C for 6 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Whisk the 2 teaspoons of malt syrup with 2 tablespoons hot water until dissolved, brush over the bagels then dip into the poppy seeds.
- Lightly oil the perforated steam container and return the bagels to it.
- Preheat the oven on Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 200°C with 1 manual burst of steam.
- Place the bagels in the oven on shelf position 2, releasing the burst of steam immediately and bake for 20 minutes.
Alternative appliance methods
Combi steam oven:
- Insert the bagels into oven at step 5 (before second proving) and create the following user programme
- Stage 1: Select prove yeast dough + 30 minutes
- Stage 2: Select Steam + 100°C + 6 minutes.
- Stage 3: Select Fan Plus at 200°C + 18 minutes.
- Save and start programme.
Hints and tips
- Poppy seeds can be substituted with alternative seeds, such as sunflower or sesame.
- Honey or maple syrup can be used instead of malt syrup.
- The bagels can be frozen and stored up to 3 months in a sealed bag.
- This recipe can be saved as a User programme, with a minute minder set for 36 minutes to add the poppy seeds to the bagels.
- Add more moisture if you like a softer bagel.