750g strong flour
1 tbsp salt
1½ tsp yeast, dried
2½ tbsp malt syrup
35ml vegetable oil
¼ cup poppy seeds
- In a bowl of a freestanding mixer with a dough hook attachment, lightly mix flour and salt on low speed.
- Whisk the yeast and 2 tbsp malt syrup into 375ml blood warm water (37°C) and pour over the flour.
- Continue to mix in the freestanding mixer on low speed for a further 15 minutes.
- Portion the dough into 10 equal pieces or weigh to 120g each, roll into a ball then push a hole through the middle with your finger and gently stretch the dough out for that classic bagel shape.
- Place the bagels into a lightly oiled perforated steam container. Select Prove yeast dough for 30 minutes and place the bagels into the combi steam oven.
- Once the bagels have proved, Steam at 100°C for 3 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Whisk the remaining ½ tbsp malt syrup with 3 tbsp hot water until dissolved, brush over the bagels then dip into the poppy seeds.
- Lightly oil the perforated steam container and return the bagels to it.
- Preheat the oven on Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 200°C with 1 manual burst of steam.
- Place the bagels in the oven on shelf position 2, releasing the burst of steam immediately and bake for 25 minutes.
Hints and tips
- Poppy seeds can be substituted with alternative seeds, such as sunflower or sesame.
- Honey or maple syrup can be used instead of malt syrup.
- The bagels can be frozen and stored up to 3 months in a sealed bag.
- This recipe can be saved as a User programme, with a minute minder set for 36 minutes to add the poppy seeds to the bagels.