220g butter, melted and cooled
1 ¹/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ¹/3 cup ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup ripe pineapple, chopped
2/3 cup shredded coconut
250g cream cheese, softened
100g butter, softened
200g icing sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Using a sharp knife cut the top off the pineapple and slice the rind off. Instead of cutting straight down, follow the rind to maximise the size of your flowers.
- Use a small measuring spoon, small paring knife, or the point of a vegetable peeler to pop out the eyes/seeds of the pineapple.
- Lay the pineapple on its side, and slice very thinly. A mandolin can also be used for slicing the pineapple.
- Press the slices between paper towel before placing them onto baking sheets lined with baking paper.
- Place trays of pineapple into the oven on Drying function at 90°C. After 45 minutes, flip the slices over and continue drying for a further 45 minutes.
- The slices should shrink and be almost completely dry.
- The little dots in the middle of the flower happen
naturally when they dry. If they aren’t dry after an hour and a half, bake them for 5-10 minute increments and keep a close eye on them so they don’t get too brown.
- Place the flowers in muffin tins so they curve like a flower and let them sit in the tin for 10-15 minutes to retain their shape.
- Pre-heat oven on Cakes Plus or Fan Plus at 160°C.
- Line muffin tin with patty pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Whisk in the eggs. Once incorporated, add in the mashed bananas and whisk in.
- Mix in the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until combined, then whisk in the flour.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped pineapple and coconut.
- Once combined, fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Place in the oven on shelf position 2 and bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool in the muffin tin for 5-10 minutes and then remove and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and continue to beat.
- Gradually mix in the sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Pipe frosting on top of the cupcakes and place a pineapple flower on top.
Hints & Tips
- Tins of crushed pineapple can be substituted if fresh pineapple is unavailable.
- The Warming Drawer can also be utilised to dry the pineapple slices.