1 packet Carême puff pastry
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup demerara sugar
1. Unroll the puff pastry onto a slightly floured bench, making sure to have the long edge facing you. Using a rolling pin, roll the pastry gently in both directions to create a slightly bigger surface.
2. Combine sugars and stir well. Sprinkle a third of the sugar over the pastry and fold both long edges into the centre, so they meet in the middle.
3. Sprinkle another third of the sugar over the pastry and then fold one half over the other half. Once folded, it should look similar to a closed book.
4. Place the pastry back into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to firm up. Once cold, slice the pastry into 1-1.5cm slices.
5. Pre-heat the oven on Fan Plus at 190°C.
6. Dip one side of each palmier into the remaining sugar, then place sugar side down onto a paper lined baking tray. Allow space between each palmier so they have room to spread.
7. Bake on shelf position 2 for 10-12 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
6. Once cooked, remove from the tray and allow to cool before serving.
Hints and tips
• Add spices and citrus zest to the sugar for different flavours.
• The sugar in the Palmiers will continue to caramelise on the baking tray once removed from the oven.