¾ cup besan (chickpea four)
75 g (½ cup) plain flour
1 ½ tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp salt flakes
1 tsp chilli powder, preferable kashmiri chilli powder
310 ml (1 ¼ cups) water
1 egg, lightly beaten
5 small brown onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Combine the besan, plain flour, bicarb soda, chilli powder and salt in a large bowl, mix well. Make a well in the centre and add the water and egg. Mix well to combine.
- Add the onion and garlic to the batter, mix well to coat.
- Heat 1 cm oil in a frying pan on medium heat, induction setting 6, or TempControl level 2.
- Add heaped tablespoons the onion mixture to the pan, draining off any excess batter. Fry the bhajis for 3 minutes each side. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining mixture.
Hints and tips
- Leftover vegetable fritters can be made using this same mix.