960 ml water
60 ml milk
35 g yeast, dried
1.2 kg bread flour, plus extra for dusting
175 g semolina
35 g salt
300 g pitted black olives
3 stems of rosemary, leaves picked
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- In a jug, combine the water, milk and yeast. Stir to combine, then set to the side for 10 minutes until the yeast starts to activate.
- In a bowl of a freestanding mixer with dough hook attachment, combine, flour, semolina and salt.
- Gradually add the water and yeast, mix together to form a smooth dough, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto a floured bench and continue kneading for a further 2 minutes, adding more flour as required. This will help to develop the gluten.
- Transfer to a well oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth.
- Select Prove yeast dough for 30 minutes and follow the prompts. Alternatively, let the dough prove on a bench in a warm place.
- After 30 minutes, lift up one side of the dough and fold it in half. Prove again for another 20 minutes.
- Fold in half again from the opposite side, you will notice the dough changing and becoming smoother. Prove for a further 20 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a multi-purpose or perforated baking tray, greased and lightly dusted with a mix of half semolina and half flour.
- Press the dough out to form a rectangle approximately 4 cm thick.
- Place the dough back into the oven, selecting Prove yeast dough for a further 30 minutes. Alternatively, as before place the dough in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Preheat oven on Moisture Plus at 190°C, with 2 manual bursts of steam.
- Drizzle the surface of the dough with olive oil then use your fingers to press holes across the surface, pressing almost to the bottom of the dough. Dot the olives across these holes as well as sprigs of rosemary.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt flakes and a bit more olive oil.
- Place into the oven on shelf position 2, releasing the first burst of steam immediately and the second burst after 10 minutes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and a hollow sound is made on the base when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes in the tray before transferring to a cooling rack.