1 tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200 g (1 cup) Arborio rice
2 tbsp verjuice or white wine
1 tbsp porcini powder
500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
60 g butter
60 g (1 cup) grated parmesan
Salt flakes and pepper, to taste
100 g firm mozzarella cheese,
cut into 24 small cubes
200 g (3 cups) panko breadcrumbs
1 cup basil leaves
1 tsp salt flakes
½ tsp pepper
2 tbsp milk
100 g (⅔ cup) flour
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
30 g (½ cup) finely grated
Sundried tomato pesto
Additional appliance method
Steam oven with Microwave
- Using the Rapid Steam function on the Steam Microwave will reduce the cooking time for the rice. Steam at 300W + 100°C for 11 minutes.
1. Place olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat, induction setting 6. Cook the shallots and garlic for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
2. Add the rice and toast for 3 minutes. Then add the verjuice and porcini powder and reduce for 1 minute.
3. Combine the stock and rice mixture in an unperforated steam container. Place into the steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the risotto from the steam oven and stir through the butter and parmesan. Season to taste.
5. Cover and transfer to the fridge for at least 3 hours to cool.
1. Scoop rounded tablespoons of the cooled risotto (approximately 30 g) into your hands and roll into balls, press a piece of mozzarella into the centre of each ball and place on a baking tray. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, place half of the breadcrumbs, basil, salt and pepper, and blend for 30 seconds until the basil has been incorporated. Place the mixture into a bowl and mix with the remaining breadcrumbs.
3. In another bowl, mix the eggs and milk to combine. Place the flour in another bowl.
4. Working with one arancini at a time, dip the ball in flour, shaking off excess. Transfer to the bowl with egg and turn to coat, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
5. Heat a high sided medium saucepan, with 5 cm of the oil on medium heat, induction setting 6, until 160°C on a food thermometer. If using TempControl heat oil on setting 2.
6. Cook for 5 minutes, turning during cooking to enable even colour. Control the oil temperature by fluctuating between induction setting 5-7, as needed. TempControl can remain on setting 2 for the duration. Arancini should be a light golden colour.
7. Once cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. Serve on top of sundried tomato pesto and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Hints and tips
• Risotto made in the steam oven is a revelation; no stirring, no overcooking, no chance it will burn! You can add mushrooms in step 1 to make a mushroom risotto.
• Reheat cooked arancini on Mix & Match using the Crispy reheating setting, browning level 2.