1 kg limes, washed and quartered
100 g sugar
100 g salt
2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
2 tsp garam marsala
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp asaphoetida
¼ cup fresh curry leaves
- Combine all of the ingredients in an unperforated steam tray. Place into the steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 2 hours or until the lime is tender.
- Sterilise the jars using the ‘disinfect items’ function in Miele steam ovens. Alternatively, place the bottles upside down in the steam oven and Steam at 100⁰C for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to sterilised jam jars and secure the lids while hot. Store in a cool dry place until needed.
Preserving in a Miele steam oven
- Use clean glass jars and accessories and check them for any defects. Glass jars with twist off lids or glass lids with a rubber seal are suitable. Make sure that all the glass jars are the same size so that bottling is carried out evenly.
- After you have filled the jars with the bottled produce, clean the glass rims with a clean cloth and hot water and then seal the jars.
- Tap the jar gently onto a cloth to help distribute the contents evenly. Fill the jars with liquid. The produce must be completely covered.
- Make use of residual heat by leaving the jars in the oven for 30 minutes after it has switched off. – Then cover the jars with a cloth and allow to cool for approx. 24 hours.