3 cm piece of ginger, grated
2 tsp sesame oil
6 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp apple vinegar
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 tbsp gochujang
1 kg chicken wings, tips removed and drumette separated from wings
4 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
2 tbsp gochujang
Spring onions, sliced
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl and then toss chicken wings to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven on Moisture Plus at 180°C with 3 manual bursts of steam.
- Place a baking and roasting rack over multi-purpose tray lined with baking paper. Spread the wings evenly on the rack and place into the oven on shelf position 3. Release 1 burst of steam immediately. Release the second burst after 15 minutes and the third burst after 30 minutes.
- Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Sprinkle chicken wings with sesame seeds and spring onion and serve alongside kimchi and gochujang mayonnaise.
Hints and tips
- Gochujang is a Korean red chilli paste available from Asian grocery stores.
- Kimchi is a staple in Korean cuisine as a traditional side dish made from salted and fermented vegetables and is available from Asian grocery stores.
- The wings are baked on the wire rack so they crisp all around, preventing the need to turn.
- This is also a great recipe for chicken skewers, simply dice 600g of chicken thighs, marinade and place onto bamboo skewers. Cooking time may need to be reduced, depending on the size of the skewers.