500 ml cream
1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
6 egg yolks
50 g honey
2 tbsp caster sugar
- Place the cream and the scraped vanilla beans into an unperforated steam container and Steam at 100˚C for 2 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and honey until slightly pale. Pour the cream mixture over the eggs and whisk to combine. Divide into 4 brûlée dishes.
- Place the brûlée dishes into a perforated steam container and cover with foil.
- Steam at 85°C for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and place into the fridge to cool.
- Sprinkle the caster sugar evenly and very thinly over the top of the brûlée.
- With a blow torch, caramelised the sugar until the top of the brûlée is evenly coloured.
Alternative appliance method
Combi steam oven:
- Select combi mode: Fan Plus at 120˚C + 60% moisture + 23 minutes
Hints and tips
- We have used 150ml brûlée dishes, 12cm x 3cm. Cooking times may need to be adjusted slightly if deeper dishes are used.