100g dried apricots, sliced
100g mixed peel
100g walnuts, chopped
150g dried figs, diced
200g brown sugar
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2½ tablespoons plain flour
100g hazelnuts, skinless
100g slivered almonds
175g almond meal
Butter to grease pan
Icing sugar to decorate
1. Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 140°C.
2. Grease and line a 15cm x 30cm rectangle baking tin with baking paper.
3. In a large pan melt honey and sugar on medium heat, Induction Setting 4 until sugar has dissolved.
4. Bring to a boil, then stir in nutmeg, coriander, ginger and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of the flour.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in all dried fruit and nuts in two batches to make it easier to mix through. Mixture will be stiff.
6. Press mixture evenly into the tin using the back of a spoon that has been run under hot water. This will give a smooth finish.
7. In a bowl, mix remaining cinnamon and flour together and then dust over panforte mixture.
8. Position a baking and roasting rack on shelf position 2, place baking tin on the rack and bake for 40 minutes. Mixture will rise slightly.
9. Brush off excess flour mixture and cool completely in the tin (do not over bake, it will seem soft when you take it out of the oven, but will firm up as it cools).
10. Slice panforte into 1cm thick slices width ways and then cut each slice into thirds.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Keeps refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.