1 red onion
1 clove garlic
1 large eggplant or 5-6 baby
2 teaspoons harissa paste
1 teaspoon rose water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
150g red lentils
500ml vegetable stock
12 green olives, pitted
200g cherry tomatoes, on the vine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
½ pomegranate, seeded
30g shelled pistachios, slivered
- Peel and finely slice the onion and garlic and set aside.
- Cut the eggplants directly in half and quickly score them with a criss-cross pattern (5mm diagonal cuts).
- Mix together the harissa paste and the rose water in a small bowl with a pinch of salt and spread onto the cut side of the eggplant.
- Place the coconut oil into a pan on medium-high heat, Induction 7. Once heated, place the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds and continue to cook for a few minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the lentils and add the stock. Stir to combine and transfer into a solid steam tray.
- Steam at 100°C for 15 minutes; the lentils should be almost cooked.
- Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 180°C.
- Remove the tray from the steam oven and place the eggplants, harissa side up, as well as the olives and the cherry tomatoes on the tray.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until all the liquid is evaporated and the eggplants are cooked.
- Spoon over the yoghurt and scatter around the pomegranate seeds and pistachios prior to serving.
Hints and Tips
- Harissa roasted eggplant can also be served with grilled chicken breast or fish instead of red lentils, or with both for a high protein main meal.
- Gluten free.
- Eggplant is one of only a few purple vegetables making it high in polyphenols and other antioxidants important for good health and performance.