4 large onions, unpeeled, halved
1.5kg good-quality chicken
sausages, casings removed
2 bunches sage, leaves picked,
half finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
150g fresh breadcrumbs
60ml extra virgin olive oil
Murray River Salt Flakes
Baby parsley leaves
1. Pre-heat the Grill to 300°C, or Grill setting 3.
2. Place onions, cut-side down, on a multi-purpose tray and grill on shelf position 5,
checking occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onion skins are burnt.
Set aside to cool.
3. When cool enough to handle, discard skin and carefully separate the onion layers
to make cups (you may need to trim the onion roots to separate layers. This leaves
a hole, don’t worry, stuffing won’t fall through). Arrange onion cups, cup-side up,
across a paper lined baking tray.
4. Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus at 180°C.
5. Combine chicken meat, half the chopped sage, garlic and half teaspoon salt flakes
in a bowl and divide among onion cups. Toss breadcrumbs and remaining chopped
sage in a bowl and scatter over onions. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and set aside.
6. Roast onions for 20 minutes, add the rest of the sage leaves and drizzle with oil.
Bake for a further 10 minutes, or until filling is cooked through and breadcrumbs
7. Transfer onions to a serving platter and scatter with salt flakes, crispy sage and
baby parsley leaves to serve.
Hints and tips
• Onions can be grilled a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator until required.