1.5kg free range chicken
1 bulb garlic, cut in half horizontally
1 green chilli, split
2 tbs fish sauce
½ cup Shaoxing cooking wine
2cm ginger, sliced
1 tsp Sezchuan peppercorns
1 bunch Chinese broccoli, washed and chopped
Vegetable oil for frying
1 red chilli sliced
200g bean shoots
Deep fried shallots, optional extra
140g buckwheat flour
300ml cold water
Pinch of salt
1. Using a sharp knife or cleaver, butcher the chicken into four pieces, 2 marylands and 2 supremes; leaving the skin and bones
intact. Cut along the inside of the leg to reveal the bone, this will make it easier to remove the bone after steaming.
2. Place the chicken pieces into a solid steam tray together with the garlic, green chilli, fish sauce, Shaoxing wine, ginger and
3. Place into the Steam Oven and Steam at 75°C for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
1. Using an immersion blender, whisk together the noodle ingredients in a deep mixing bowl. Cover with cling film and stand for at least 30 minutes.
2. Line 3-4 large steam or multi-purpose trays with cling film and divide the batter between each, then spread evenly to a thickness
of 1mm. Alternatively, spray the solid steam trays with vegetable oil.
3. Arrange the broccoli on a Perforated steam tray.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven. Place the noodle trays into the Steam Oven and Steam at 100°C for 10 minutes. After 8 minutes place the broccoli into the Oven along with the noodles and Steam together for the remaining duration.
5. While the noodles are steaming, remove the bones from the chicken, take care to keep the skin intact. Strain the stock, through
a sieve over a saucepan. Discard bones and solids.
6. Place the pan onto the cooktop and bring to a simmer on high heat, Induction setting 8. Reduce by a third, then low heat, on Induction setting Keep Warm.
7. Remove the noodles and broccoli from the Steam Oven. Allow the noodles to stand for 2-3 minutes to firm up. Turn out onto a lightly oiled chopping board, remove the cling film and slice into ribbons approximately 1cm wide, a pizza cutter is ideal.
1. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a frypan or wok on medium to high heat, Induction setting 7-8. When the oil is hot, add the
chicken pieces skin side down and fry until the skin is crispy and golden. Turn the pieces over and fry for a further 30 seconds just to heat through. Transfer the chicken from the pan and slice into 1-2cm thick pieces.
2. While the oil is still hot, add the chilli and fry for 5-10 seconds on high heat until fragrant, Induction setting 8. Add the noodles to the pan and lightly fry until some of the edges are crisp and golden. Add the broccoli, bean shoots and a little of the reduced
stock. Toss to combine. Transfer to warm bowls or a serving platter with the sliced chicken. Pour over extra stock and garnish with chilli, herbs and shallots.