300g self-raising flour, sifted
125g thickened cream
125ml sparkling mineral water
5g salt flakes
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
100g Persian fetta
25g Parmesan, grated
Milk for brushing
1. In a large bowl add flour, cream, water, salt and nigella seeds. Mix with your fingers to form a very soft dough, do not over mix.
2. Turn onto a lightly floured benchtop and using your hand, press out to approximately 2cm thick.
3. Use a floured round 5cm pastry cutter cut out scones. Place the cut scones on a baking tray, keep them very close together so they ‘kiss’ and rise evenly.
4. Bring the dough scraps together into a ball; re-form lightly to produce more scones.
5. Pre-heat oven on Moisture Plus at 200°C with 1 burst of steam and follow the prompts on the control panel for using Moisture Plus.
6. Make an indentation into the centre of the scone with your thumb and add little pieces of Persian fetta.
7. Rest for 10 minutes before baking. Brush the top with milk and top each scone with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan.
8. Place scones in the oven on shelf position 2 and release the burst of steam immediately. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Hints and tips
- Your favourite soft cheese can be used in place of the Persian fetta; goat’s curd, brie, mildly flavoured blue cheese.
- This recipe can also be cooked using Steam Combination. Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 200°C. Place tray on Shelf position 2. Select Combination Mode: Select Fan Plus at 200°C + 15 minutes + 30% moisture.