4 x 150g Chatham Island blue cod fillets, pin boned and skin off.
20g ginger threads
50ml cooking sake
4 heads baby bok choy, cut lengthwise and washed
2 teaspoons white sesame seeds, toasted
4 spring onions
¼ cup oil
100ml dark soy sauce
10ml mirin (sweet cooking wine)
50ml rice vinegar
25ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
25ml freshly squeezed orange juice
25 ml sesame oil
25g chilli garlic paste (Lee Kum Kee)
- Finely slice the spring onions lengthwise and place in cold iced water to curl.
- Line a solid steam tray with baking paper. Place fish fillets in a single layer in the tray. Sprinkle ginger and sake over the fish.
- Place bok choy in a perforated tray.
- Place fish on shelf position 1, with the bok choy on shelf position 3.
- Steam at 85°C for 8-10 minutes.
- In a jar combine all ingredients for the Spicy Ponzu and set aside.
- Remove bok choy from steam oven and place on a warm serving plate. Place fish on top of bok choy and pour cooking juices over the fish.
- Cover the fish with sesame seeds and curly onions. Drizzle Spicy ponzu sauce over the spring onions and allow to soak into the fish.
- In a small saucepan heat oil until smoking. Pour hot oil over the fish and serve.
Hints and tips
- Any firm flesh white fish can be used if Chatham Island blue cod is unavailable.