700g trimmed weight cavolo nero, leaf only stems removed
3 tablespoons Maggie Beer
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon salt flakes
50g unsalted butter
1 tablespoon Maggie Beer Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 golden shallots, peeled and finely sliced
1 quince, peeled cored and grated
Salt flakes and pepper, to taste
Fresh lemon juice, to taste
1. Wash the cavolo nero thoroughly, spin or pat dry then chop.
2. In a large mixing bowl toss together the cavolo nero with the olive oil and salt flakes.
3. Divide between two large vacuum sealing bags and seal in the Vacuum Sealing Drawer on vacuum setting 2, sealing setting 3. Refrigerate until needed.
1. Place the cavolo nero into a Steam Oven on a perforated steam tray and cook on Sous-vide at 80°C for 6 minutes.
2. Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, Induction setting 6, until nut brown.
3. Add the olive oil to the pan along with the golden shallots and grated quince. Cook on medium-high heat, Induction setting 7, for 2-3 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
4. Remove the cooked cavolo nero from the bags and transfer to the frying pan and then toss together with the shallots and quince, season to taste with salt flakes and pepper.
5. Serve drizzled with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- If cooking the cavolo nero without vacuum sealing, do not dress with the oil and salt, instead steam plain on a perforated steam tray. Vacuum sealing allows the dressing to penetrate into the chopped leaves and intensify the natural flavour of the cavolo nero.
- Silverbeet or rainbow chard can be substituted for cavolo nero.