Eight spice powder
20g juniper berries
30g whole star anise
15g white peppercorns
15g cinnamon quills
1 pinch saffron threads
10g cardamom pods
Confit duck leg
4 duck legs
50g sea salt
1 tablespoon eight spice powder
1 sprig of thyme
1 bay leaf
1kg duck fat
1 toulouse sausage
2 tablespoons duck fat
60g bacon lardons (speck)
50g onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
200ml white wine
500ml chicken stock
400g cooked cannellini beans
Bouquet garni (fresh parsley, bay leaf, 3 peppercorns, thyme)
Murray River Sea Salt
Freshly ground pepper
¼ cup parsley, chopped
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon roasted garlic puree
1 cup chicken stock, hot
Eight Spice Powder
1. Grind all the spices to a fine powder in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar.
2. Toast the spices in a large pan over medium heat, Induction setting 6. Allow to cool.
3. Store in an airtight jar and use as required.
Confit Duck Leg
1. Trim the knuckle from leg bone and discard.
2. Grind the salt and spices together in a mortar and pestle. Sprinkle each duck leg with spice mix and herbs; leave to salt for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Wipe salt from duck with kitchen paper.
4. Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 110°C.
5. Place duck into a medium casserole dish, cover with duck fat, place in the oven on shelf position 2 and cook for 3 hours. The meat should nearly fall off the bone.
6. Once cooked, drain duck on a resting rack and leave to chill in the refrigerator.
1. Heat the duck fat in a pan on a high heat, Induction setting 8. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, set aside.
2. Using the same pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, Induction setting 4-5. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes until the onion is softened but not brown.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Add the wine to deglaze and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
5. Add the stock and beans along with the bouquet garni and seasoning. Cook for 2 minutes to infuse the flavour. Remove the bouquet garni.
1. Pre-heat oven on Fan Grill at 180°C.
2. Place sausage on the rack on the multi-purpose tray on shelf position 2 and cook for 15 minutes, being careful not to let it brown too much.
3. Slice into 1cm thick slices.
1. In a small bowl of a food processor, mix the bread crumbs with the parsley and roasted garlic. Blitz until a fine crumb and then set aside.
1. Combine the sausage slices with the cassoulet ingredients and extra chicken stock. Divide evenly into 4 heat proof serving bowls. Place bowls on the multi-Purpose Tray.
2. Pre-heat oven on Fan Grill at 180°C.
3. Divide the extra chicken stock between the bowls and heat the cassoulet under the grill for 8 minutes or until heated through, being careful not to dry out or brown too much.
4. Heat a non-stick pan on a high heat, Induction setting 8. Reduce heat to medium, Induction setting 6, heat the duck legs, skin side down until warmed through.
5. Sprinkle the bread crumb herb mix on top of the cassoulet and lightly brown under the grill and serve immediately.