2 x spatchcocks, approximately 500-600g each
300g caster sugar
250ml light soy sauce
250ml chicken stock
2 slices ginger
1 cinnamon quill
2 star anise
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, bruised
¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 eggplant, sliced 3cm thick
1 capsicum, deseeded, quartered
1. Place all ingredients into a heavy based saucepan, Induction setting 6, stirring to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Pour half the stock into a bowl, reserve for marinating the spatchcock. Allow to cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
2. Reduce remaining stock on medium heat, Induction setting 6 until the stock thickens to a syrupy consistency.
1. Butterfly the spatchcocks removing the breast cage and backbone then place in a shallow dish.
2. Pour over cooled Master stock and marinate for a minimum of 1 hour turning the spatchcock several times.
3. Pre-heat oven on Fan Grill at 200°C.
4. Place spatchcock skin side up on a grilling and roasting insert over a multi-purpose tray.
5. Place sliced eggplant and capsicum either side of spatchcock. Brush vegetables and spatchcock with marinade several times.
6. Place the tray on shelf position 3 and cook for 25-30 minutes.
7. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
1. Portion the spatchcocks and drizzle remaining glaze over meat and grilled vegetables.
HINTS AND TIPS
• Spatchcock is a term used to describe a poultry or game that has been split, back bone removed and
flattened out before cooking.
• Cooking time may vary depending on the size of spatchcock.